A game company is a company that develops, publishes, and sells games. Game companies can be small and independent, or they can be large and multinational. Some of the largest game companies in the world include:
Sony Interactive Entertainment
Game companies create a wide variety of games, including console games, PC games, mobile games, and online games. They also develop and publish games for a variety of genres, such as action, adventure, role-playing, strategy, and sports games.
Game companies play an important role in the entertainment industry. Games are a popular form of entertainment for people of all ages, and the video game industry is one of the largest and fastest-growing industries in the world.
Here are some of the most popular games developed and published by game companies:
Grand Theft Auto V
God of War
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Red Dead Redemption 2
League of Legends
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Candy Crush Saga
Clash of Clans
These are just a few examples of the many popular games developed and published by game companies. The video game industry is constantly evolving, and new games are being released all the time.
Setting up a Game Company in Hong Kong
Hong Kong is a popular destination for game companies due to its low taxes, business-friendly environment, and access to the Chinese market. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to set up a game company in Hong Kong:
1. Choose a company type. The most common type of company structure for game companies in Hong Kong is a private limited liability company. This type of company offers limited liability to its shareholders, meaning that their personal assets are protected in the event of the company's debts or bankruptcy.
2. Choose a company name. The company name must be unique and cannot be the same as any other registered company name in Hong Kong. You can check the availability of company names on the Hong Kong Companies Registry website.
3. Register the company. You can register your company online or through a company formation agent. The following documents are required for company registration:
Incorporation Form NNC1 (for companies limited by shares) or Form NNC1G (for companies not limited by shares)
Business name certificate
Identity proofs of directors and shareholders
Registered office address
4. Apply for business licenses and permits. Depending on the type of games your company develops and publishes, you may need to apply for certain business licenses and permits. For example, if you are developing and publishing online games, you will need to apply for a game license from the Hong Kong Communications and Technology Authority.
5. Open a corporate bank account. Once your company is registered, you can open a corporate bank account for your business. This will allow you to receive and make payments on behalf of your company.
6. Hire employees. If you need to hire employees for your game company, you will need to register as an employer with the Hong Kong Inland Revenue Department. You will also need to obtain work visas for your foreign employees.
Additional Tips for Setting up a Game Company in Hong Kong
Network with other game developers and publishers. Hong Kong has a thriving game development community. There are many events and meetups where you can network with other game developers and publishers. This can help you to learn about the industry and make valuable connections.
Government Support for Game Companies in Hong Kong
The Hong Kong government offers a number of support programs for game companies. These programs include:
The Digital Entertainment Industry Development Fund. This fund provides financial assistance to game companies to develop and promote their games.
The Technology Voucher Programme. This program provides funding to companies to purchase technology services and solutions.
The Cyberport Startmeup Programme. This program provides support to startups in the information and communications technology sector.
For more information on government support for game companies in Hong Kong, please visit the website of the Hong Kong Trade Development Council.
Seek Professional Advice from Bestar
Seek professional advice from Bestar if you are new to setting up a business in Hong Kong. We can help you to navigate the process and ensure that you comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
Here are some of the specific things that Bestar can help you with:
Choosing the right company structure for your business
Registering your company with the Hong Kong Companies Registry
Applying for business licenses and permits
Opening a corporate bank account
Setting up your accounting and bookkeeping system
Filing your annual tax returns
Advising you on Hong Kong tax laws and regulations
Bestar can also provide you with general business advice, such as how to develop a business plan, how to market your business, and how to manage your finances.
If you are serious about setting up a business in Hong Kong, contact Bestar for a free consultation. We can help you to get started on the right foot and increase your chances of success.